Dynamic Daffodil Duo

Dynamic Daffodil Duo
Everything's going swimmingly

Friday 20 January 2012

Win some, lose some

As I have often found with physical challenges, for every good training session there is a bad one. Mine seem to alternate between good and bad at the mo., and considering Monday's mile in a 50m pool first thing in the morning was something I considered to be a positive, well you can guess the rest. A pre-existing tension in my left shoulder grew into a pain I couldn't shake. Instead of completing two miles I did one..in a 25m pool...when my body was fully awake. "No pain, no gain", you may say with whoops, cheers and urgings to push on through. I could have, yes, but last time I did that - a very gallant 2.5 miles some months back (yes, I've been having a crack at this swimming malarkey for some time) - which put me out of action for about 6 weeks. Promised Charlotte I'd never repeat the mistake and I can't let her down. Speaking of Charlotte, she racked up 2k and overtook me three times. I'm really proud of her for that.


The only thing to do is take away the positives. Mine are:



  1. It wasn't a fitness issue;
  2. The pain in my shoulder was due to tension that had been building through the day rather than poor technique (the cause of my 6-week hiatus) and importantly;
  3. It was a Schwim Cap night. To the uninitiated a Schwim Cap is what you find a-top of certain bottles of Abbey Well water and can be exchanged for a swim at participating pools during certain times. Wel worth a punt and if you keep your eyes peeled you're likely to see a Schwim Cap discarded as litter. I think I've found 20 of the bleeders just lying around thus far.
So onwards and upwards. Monday morning's going to be fun...

1 comment:

  1. A "tension" eh? A likely tale! You just couldn't keep up my boy!

    I jest of course and I'm very glad your shoulder's feeling better :) Don't worry, you'll completely outstrip me next time when you're back on form.

    As for technique - I'm longer than you, I really think that's all it is!

    xx

    ReplyDelete